Specifications of Building Information Modeling (BIM) for General Contractors and Sub-Contractors
Building Information Modeling
(BIM) is a widely used terminology in Architectural, Engineering and Construction (AEC) Industry enough to touch every aspect and discipline of construction project. In a way it also caters as 3D architectural modeling
and Architectural BIM Construction Plan
as BIM is a multi-faceted technology influencing the construction from every sphere. Considering this multi-purpose quality of BIM how could the section of contractors including General Contractors and Sub-contractors can stay behind. May be their usage of BIM is less but they are the major one to get affected from it as General contractors and the respective sub-contractors under them are the major supervisor of whole construction project. Building Information Modeling has empowered the General Contractors
in greater extent because it has smoothens their work that helps them to execute the construction project efficiently and competently.
To know more about the contribution of Building Information Modeling (BIM) in the growth of general contractors and subcontractors in detail, please download our free guide.
Please provide your name and email address for your free download.
Some of the important features of BIM in concise are:
- Provide multiple dimensions to construction project.
- Design a virtual information model that form as 3D architectural modeling
- It encompasses the whole aspect of construction project from conception, initiation, designing and run throughout the whole life cycle of building/infrastructure.
- BIM possess a efficient management system that enables the effective supervision of information system throughout the lifecycle of construction.
- Comprehensive functional data.
- Provide information about every property of the building.
- How BIM visualize the whole project : Due to advance and quality visualization, contractors get the clear idea of final product.
- How BIM manage the 3D coordination : BIM allows the team engineers, architects, owners, contractors and project managers to sit together and coordinate their expertise with each other that avoids the error and risks at pre-construction phase. The coordination of the team and general contractors takes place before the construction that results in reduction of errors, clashes and better understanding of the practical operation.
- How BIM execute the Prefabrication : Due to efficient prefabrication by BIM, it results into reduced field labor cost and accuracy in construction project. BIM deals with specifications, finishes, sequences and the 3D visual of every component leads to better accuracy.
- How BIM encourages the construction planning : After the advent of BIM for general contractors can update the every planning of construction whereabouts in orderly way. The responsibility of general contractors includes planning for coordination, shop drawings, approval, fabrication, transportation and installation. Added to that general contractors also have to ensure the timing of the every procedure.
- How BIM carry out the cost-estimation : The cost estimation involves quantity take off and pricing of the materials. The cost estimation by BIM helps the contactors escalate the productivity of estimators.
- How BIM record the model : It takes place at the end of construction project where construction manager handover the integration of the as-builts from the subcontractors to the owner as record of Building Information Model.
Hence, the above mentioned features of Building Information Modeling
are the evident of the fact that how BIM has empowered the position of General contractors and sub-contractors and holds the promise of bright full future.